Sunday, March 17, 2013

Third Time's the Charm...?

This weekend for St. Patrick's Day we (Leslie, Laura, Jimmy and I) decided to venture back down to Marseille. I have never particularly liked Marseille, mainly because it doesn't have a certain charm to it, but I knew that it couldn't hurt to give it another try. This was my third time there and each visit was a little better than the first. While I still don't love it, I don't outright hate it. The one thing I was looking forward to was finding the cookies that I ate in Montpellier. Traditionally, they are a Moroccan cookie and since there are more Northern Africans in Marseille, I figured I would find them. My instincts were correct! The first thing I purchased was a cookie (which come to find out there are called montecaos.) It was good but my second one was better. After wandering around to find ourselves a snack, we went to an Irish pub to watch England vs. Wales rubgy match. Sadly, Wales won 30-3. We then headed to Monoprix and picked up a random assortment of dinner foods and had a picnic in our hotel room. Later we headed back to the Vieux Port where we heard an overwhelming amount of English due to the St. Patrick's Day festivities. We met a few interesting locals who willingly serenaded us (both in English and French) for about an hour. After the serenade, we called it a night. This morning we got an early start and hiked up to Notre Dame de la Garde, which is a church overlooking the ocean. It offers a great view of the city as well as Château d'If. Once we hiked back down, we decided it was time to head to the train station. On our walk back, Leslie and I came across and great selection of savory treats. We couldn't decide which one to buy, so we got both and split them!














No comments:

Post a Comment