Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Montpellier Round II

This past weekend Hannah, Leslie and I ventured back to Montpellier. We liked it so much the first time, we wanted to go back! Plus it's only 1 hour away and train tickets are good prices, so we figured why not? We got in around 7pm on Friday night and made it safely to our host's apartment. We stayed with a young couple that Leslie had met. When they got the news that we were coming, they bought the ingredients to make a typical French dish called, aligot. IT WAS SO GOOD! Essentially, it is a cheese and potato purée that is served with cooked sausage. I could have eaten everyone else's plate along with mine. Saturday was a beautiful, sunny day which was exactly what we had prayed for. We made the 30 minute walk into town and the first thing on our list was food, naturally. When I lived in Aix my host mom made these great cookies that were a really dense shortbread with cinnamon dusted on top. I finally found them again in Montpellier. That was my breakfast and now I wish I had gotten two. (30 minute break) After much research I believe that cookie is originally a traditional Moroccan shortbread cookie. However, in France it is called a "gateau marocain" or just simply, "marocain". I thought it was called a "monaco" which is why my google search didn't yield any results. The fact that I googled this one particular cookie goes to show how good it really is! Anyways, while we were munching on our goodies we heard some music playing along the main street. The sound of the banjo immediately caught my attention and warmed my heart. I made the girls stop and listen to the band play a few songs and they were so good, I bought their cd. While I do have a slight obsession for the banjo, there was a guy playing a home-made instrument which consisted of a washboard with a symbol attached to one end. So folk. Next, we came across a market where Leslie purchased a new leather purse for herself and anther hidden gem, "a petting zoo". It was actually just people using the animals to get money for their rescue shelter. Not only did we get to see some cute puppies and (as much as I am going to regret saying this) cats too, but I got to pet a baby goat!!!! Best day ever, live folk music and a baby goat! Afterwards, we picked up a map at the tourism office and we decided to be good tourists and see something historical. We followed the map to our third hidden gem, a beautiful park with wadding pools and an aqueduc. After more walking and eating, we returned to the couple's house to rest before dinner. We decided to take advantage of the warm weather and we had a picnic in a park for dinner. The next day, we woke up to another sunny day, packed out bags and returned back to Avignon. 












No comments:

Post a Comment