Sunday, January 26, 2014

Speculoos Madeleines

For Christmas, two of the many French-inspired gifts that I got were Speculoos powder and a Madeleine tray. If you do not know what speculoos is, I highly suggest that you figure it out, and quickly! It can best be described as a spice flavor with hints of ginger and cinnamon. Trader Joe's sells "Cookie Butter" which is essentially speculoos in a peanut butter-like form. You can also buy speculoos cookies and speculoos spread at World Market.

Today, I used both of these gifts and made Speculoos Madeleines. The original recipe that I used was from a French blog, but I have translated it into English. I had fun following a recipe in French and I learned some good cooking vocabulary. For example, beurre in French means butter and the verb beurrer means to butter or to grease. I have added the link to the original recipe at the bottom.

Ingredients
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of sugar
1 stick of butter (melted)
2 eggs
pinch of salt
2-3 T of speculoos powder (A friend who recently traveled to Belgium bought me the powder there. You can buy the cookies at World Market and crunch them up.)

Directions
Pre-heat the over to 375ºF

Melt the butter. Mix together the eggs and sugar. Add in the salt. Mix until the mixture starts to lighten in color - this allows the dough to rise without the use of baking powder.

Add the flour, melted butter and speculoos powder in little-by-little. Mix well. The mixture will be thick, not runny.

Grease the tray and fill the molds 2/3 full. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the middle starts to bulge and the edges turn brown. Remove from tray and place on cooling rack.

Let them cool and enjoy :)





la recette originale - merci !

No comments:

Post a Comment