Friday, January 4, 2013

Going to the castle and we're...

...gunna get married. Today we went to a German castle about 30 minutes from Ina's house. It's called Burg Hohenzollern and it was beautiful!!! The castle sits on top of a mountains and today it was super foggy so we couldn't even see the castle until we had climbed all the way to the top. We had to climb like 455 stairs to get to the top. We were slightly winded and sweaty once we made it. After climbing all of the stairs, we had to wind up another long road to reach the entrance. Unfortunately, they only offer English guided tours on Saturdays, so we had to opt for the German tour. I tend to lose interest in guided tours so this worked out perfectly for me. I was able to look around and focus on the things that I wanted to see. We had to wear these giant slippers during the tour so we wouldn't scuff up the floor. I think they were made for a giant. We weren't allowed to take pictures of the inside of the castle which normally wouldn't stop me, but the tour guide seemed a little skeptical of us Americans and kept following us around so I wasn't able to sneak any.










Tonight we got to experience another German tradition! On January 6 (Epiphany) they make this special type of bread in the shape of a star and play different dice games. The winner of each game wins a part of the bread. We played four or five different games, two of which I won! I apparently have really good luck rolling dice. The last game we had to roll two dice then say a phrase in German then blow the third dice off the top of the cup. I'm sure I was blushing hard core because I couldn't pronounce half of the words and I'm sure I sounded and look ridiculous. Ina took a video of me and Caroline and we all had a good laugh replaying it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment