Monday, September 17, 2012

Slightly overweight

It's here! I cannot believe I am moving to France for 9 months, eek!! I'm ready to embark on this new adventure, but first I have to get there with all of my luggage. I decided it would be a great idea to leave all of my packing for the night before, terrible decision and so uncharacteristic of me. Thankfully, I had my own personal packing elf (shout out to Caroline, BIFF) who managed to fit all of my junk into 1 giant suitcase and a travel backpack. After hours of cramming and shoving clothes, shoes and books, we zipped the last of the zippers. Unfortunately, fitting everything wasn't the biggest problem, fitting everything AND being under 50 pounds was the more daunting task at hand. I was already prepared to pay the extra fee for my overweight bag. Come to find out, there is a maximum weight of 70 pounds. My smart mother decided to bring a second suitcase just in case I was over the max limit. I am so glad I decided to keep her around because not only was it overweight, but it was 30 pounds overweight, weighing in at a grand total of 80 pounds. Who knew clothes could weigh so much. So I had to decide if I wanted to pay a $200 fee for the 80 pounds or check at second bag for only $60. The cheaper fee seemed a little more appealing to me than a bag busting at the seems that cost me $200. So now I am sitting in Charlotte with my travel backpack and giant purse relieved to have the 2 bags checked and stowed...for now. Once I get into Paris, I'll have to retrieve my 2 suitcases and lug them onto the TGV train then onto 2 separate buses before I reach my final destination. It's safe to say that I am slightly nervous, but I'm still praying and I know that God will get me there safely.

1 comment: