Thursday, September 27, 2012

Le Thor & Isle-sur-la-Sorgue

Today we ventured to Le Thor and Isle-sur-la-Sorgue to see Leslie's schools. She really lucked out because these two villages are BEAUTIFUL! I am not-so-secretly jealous. The Sorgues river runs through both of the towns and it seems to be a cleaner part of the river in these 2 towns as compared to my town (Sorgues). We started off at Le Thor (not to be confused with Chris Hemsworth in "Thor") and wandered around the town for a bit. Laura and I waited out in the parking lot for Leslie while she met with the director of her school. We creeped on some French middle school boys who were obviously showing off on their mo-peds for us. How endearing.





We then took the bus to the next village along the Sorgues called Isle-sur-la-Sorgue. OH MY WORD it is just so lovely. It reminds me of a smaller version of Aix, with a river rather than fountains. The river runs through the main part of town and the street along the river is lined with cafés. Some of them have built bridges that cross the river with extra seating. There are several water wheels along the river too. I think they are more for looks because they were turning at an extremely slow pace, almost as slow as the pace of life here. We wandered the streets and came across several boutiques filled with the typical provencal goodies - hand made soap, brightly colored fabric and lavender - and we stopped outside of candy stores drooling as we looked through the windows. Since the weather was perfect, we decided to grab lunch at a boulangerie and eat along the river. I was trying to limit my intake of bread and cheese today but considering I ordered a friand fromage I already failed. I wasn't actually planning on achieving this goal considering cheese is basically my favorite thing ever and it's super cheap here. We sat by the river for awhile enjoying our lunch and the scenery, and we explored more of the town before coming back to Avignon. It was a fun little adventure and it has inspired me to discover more of the little villages in the south of France.










No comments:

Post a Comment